Bekhudi

Bekhudi...a state of "not being one's self"

Name:
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States

What to say...sach hai duniyan waalo ke hum hai anari...

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Weekends and "Manic" Mondays

"It's just another manic Monday". What is with the Mondays?
I love the way Americans use their weekends. They go "out". Bike rides, a jog in the park, a hike, skiing in winter, picnics, fishing, a movie, a party, a concert, a game, a barbecue, reading, etc etc. They always have the weekend planned and are very busy. After the hard work of the week, they indeed deserve to have some fun.
My week on the other hands is a totally different story ;)
As a responsible member of graduate student community all over the world, I practice my duty of "procrastinating" as many of taks as possible. Those who are not familar with grad student life, please visit http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/
Although some of my planned "work" for the week gets done with imminent deadlines which could not be delayed any further, there is plenty of undone stuff on Friday morning. It is the day I feel some motivation to do some work so that I can spend weekend in doing my own things. I give it a shot. Sometimes it pays off and I really get some work done. Those Friday evenings are great. Usually start with bike ride on the “Boulder Creek” or something like that. After that hang out with the friends or watch a movie. But many times things don't go well. I console myself that I gave it a shot. I think "I'll come back all charged up next week and make up for time wasted. Oh man....am I in some foul mood on those Friday evenings! I mean although I make fun of myself not working and being grad students and all, after all I need to graduate right? How is this going to happen if week after another goes like this.
Saturday morning waking up late, I realize the other things I need to over the weekend – groceries, laundry, apartment cleaning, bills etc. I do these things on some weekends. I even go to school and try to work.
But these things are not fun. I want to do some thing “good” with my weekends. I like to ski, bike, hike, cricket, or watching NFL/NBA, movies, sometimes read books, travel, cooking, potlucks and hanging out with friends. These are the thing I want to spend my weekends doing. And then I do these things, often postponing the grocery like stuff for the next week. I forget my anguish of not getting the work done last week and my huge task list for the next week. I am completely free of the any worries while doing these activities…well….mostly. I feel relaxed after this and want to slowly get back to work.
Then comes the Sunday evening. I want now to get back to “work” mode. Suddenly I feel overwhelmed with the things to do and start feeling guilty of having fun while I have so much work pending. It is so difficult to focus. Go to sleep…late.
Monday morning I want to rush to school (unless I am writing this blog or something like that:). Try to revise my list of things to do and set the priorities. But then I have to read the “times of India”, “esakal”, “Loksatta” etc. Some friend stops by and we go for the coffee. Sometimes there is a talk. That takes care of time until lunch. After lunch, there are always some really useless things to do that I must do. What is with Monday's? Nothing gets done.

How in the world am I going to be more productive?
"Mein aisa kyun hu? mein aisa kyun hu?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home